Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ironic iPhone

OK, I admit it - I have a new iPhone.

I am loving it and hating it in equal measures.

The one thing it seems to do extremely well is be an enhanced iPod.

My old Nokia was a better phone - the iPhone seems to have no reception in ridiculous places and drops out all over the place. Somehow yesterday, despite sitting in one place for most of the day, I had 4 calls slip straight through to voicemail with nary a ring and only received 3 calls. A 42% success rate is pretty abysmal for anything including a phone.

My Blackberry is much, much better for email and for syncing to my PC.

The iPhone does most things competently but is outclassed in a number of areas by other devices. So will I be swapping back?

No way.

It is just a beautiful bit of kit. It is aesthetic; it is delightfully tactile and it's fun (and it is a great iPod). As a result, I am prepared to forgive it for it's shortcomings.

Powerful brands with an emotional dimension are like this - they change our perceptions of value; the engender loyalty; they allow us to forgive them for their shortcomings and foibles; they are always competent but excel in some areas. The total package binds us to them in a way which delights.

Not many brands achieve it. Those that do are iconic and valuable.

Our aim in creating brands is to build something beautiful - just like an iPhone.

No comments: